Water Fitness Instructor
Job Type: Part Time
Compensation: Hourly: $16 - $18
1111 College Avenue
Santa Rosa, CA 95404
If interested in this job, click "view this job". When you click "apply for this job", you must download the application form, fill in and attach to the interest form.
Under the direction of the Aquatic Director, this position is responsible for the welfare of all members utilizing the pools and adjacent areas. The water fitness staff ensures an atmosphere of discipline, friendliness, and safety within the framework of the Sonoma County YMCA Aquatics programs. YMCA staff must be supportive of other employees and be able to work together as a team. They must present themselves in an exemplary manner while on duty. They must be self-reliant and be able to work well with members. Employees must be willing to be in appropriate uniform at all times and follow dress code standards.
- Y Membership
- Discount on Y Programs
- 18 years of age or older.
- Current American Red Cross CPR certificate
- Current American Red Cross First Aid Certificate
- Experience teaching water exercise classes
- Arthritis Certificate if required
- AEA Certificate preferred
- Organize a complete and thorough class within the time frame scheduled.
- Arrive on deck 10 minutes before class and have equipment set-up before class begins.
- Ensure the safety of all participants during the entire class.
- Teach from deck or pool as appropriate for class understanding.
- Be available for participants after class. Please do not answer questions you are not trained to respond to. Contact a supervisor immediately (if appropriate) or refer the member to the Aquatics Director.
- Respond quickly in the event of an accident or injury, follow emergency code procedures and file an incident report immediately.
- Follow and respect the decisions of the lifeguard on duty. The lifeguard is in charge of the pool at all times.
- Put away equipment after class.
- Attend and participate in all staff meetings, evaluations, trainings, and emergency drills. If you are unable to attend, notify your supervisor before the event.
- Secure a sub whenever unable to work (for any reason) and inform Supervisor immediately regarding who will be teaching the class. A no-show for a class is considered job abandonment and is grounds for immediate dismissal.
- Engage in behavior conducive to team building with other staff, such as open communication, encouragement, support, and tolerance for each other.
- Act as a role model, carrying out the YMCA 4 core values, representing the YMCA
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to walk; use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools or controls; reach with hands and arms; talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to stand and climb or balance. The employee is occasionally required to sit, stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl, and taste or smell.
The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 40 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, and peripheral vision.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly exposed to wet and/or humid conditions. The employee is occasionally exposed to fumes or airborne particles and risk of electrical shock.
The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate to loud.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee occasionally works near moving mechanical parts.