Group Exercise Instructor
Job Type: Part Time
Category: Health & Fitness
Compensation: Hourly: $12-$13.95
1111 College Avenue
Santa Rosa, CA 95404
If interested in this job, click "view this job". When you click "apply for this job", you must download the application form, fill in and attach to the interest form.
Responsible for conducting safe, effective and enjoyable exercise classes by providing excellent leadership, up-to-date quality instruction, and high energy motivation.
- Y Membership
- Discount on Y Programs
- Must be 18 years or older and have a fitness/group exercise background.
- Knowledge of, and ability to, communicate exercise physiology principles as related to a well-rounded fitness program.
- Physically fit to lead class at the appropriate level.
- Maintain current certification through ACE, AFFA, ACSM, NDEITA, YogaFit, YMCA or equivalent program OR have at least 5 years of teaching experience.
- Maintain current CPR and First Aid (available through YMCA at a staff fee).
- Develop routines with appropriate music and choreography.
- Willingness to continue in-house training in order to improve teaching skills or expand current skill level.
- Ability to communicate with a diverse group of individuals.
Ability to read and comprehend simple instructions, short correspondence, and memos. Ability to write simple correspondence. Ability to effectively present information in one-on-one and small group situations to customers, clients, and other employees in the organization.
- Arrive on time, prepared to begin and end class on time. Teach agreed upon classes each week according to individual. Responsible for own class coverage when unavailable to attend. Inform supervisor of vacation plans and who will be substituting at least two weeks in advance.
- Greet members warmly, enthusiastically and by name (smiling, eye contact), maintaining an atmosphere that motivates long-term participation and member retention. Represent the YMCA in a positive manner. Pass on member concerns to supervisor.
- Educate participants on proper form, anatomy, contraindications, and modification of moves. Show respect and responsibility for all equipment.
- Attend instructor meetings (mandatory for paid instructors; highly recommended for volunteers.
- Cross-reference Y’s promotions to aerobic participants.
Ability to analyze moderately complex problems where there are standardized activities. Problem solving results from conformity to established patterns and policies.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand and walk. The employee frequently is required to talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to sit; use hands to finger, handle or feel objects, tools or controls; reach with hands and arms; climb or balance; and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl.
The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The noise level in the work environment is usually loud.